Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Top 10 Things to Eat in Peru

In just 3 short days I will be off to SOUTH AMERICA! Are you as shocked as me that it's already go time? Half of me is in panic mode, running around like crazy, making lists, and getting everything ready; while the other half of me is all "everything will be perfect, no need to stress, just get excited!!" And I am, SO excited. Although I am worried about one minor major thing...

What in the world am I (the pickiest eater in the world) going to eat?! I am probably the most boring (and safe) eater ever. Ham sandwiches for every meal, everyday. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. I do like a good tuna melt, or piece of pizza, or chicken anything. But that about covers it. So in order to better prepare myself for what I'm getting myself into, I googled "food to eat in peru" and discovered this wonderful National Geographic article...



Y'all, I'm in trouble.

Let's take a look at some of these dishes, shall we?

Our first item on the list is called Ceviche. First off, what the heck does that mean?! I realize that we're going to be in a Spanish speaking country and that I do have a minor in Spanish, but I'm pretty sure I didn't learn that word and I have no clue what that means. And yes I'm going to feel really dumb if someone comments on this to tell me that the word is in fact English...whatever. So there's our first challenge right there, understanding what exactly it is that we'll be eating. Anyway, back to that thing called "Ceviche." Apparently, it's "raw fish marinated in citrus juice." Maybe some of you think this sounds delicious, but I'll pass. Raw fish just sounds a little gross to me.

Next on the list, Cuy. Otherwise known as...

Yes this would be my adorable guinea pig, Fanny.
THIS IS NOT OKAY!!! I know that cultures are different and heck some people even eat dog (again, no no no no!) but I'm sorry, I just can't. None of this "when in Rome..." nonsense. Fanny, I promise to not chow down on  your ancestors while abroad, no matter how much the Peruvians try and convince me...

Another item on the list: Rocoto Relleno. Again, what?! According to National Geographic, "What appears to be a plain-old red bell pepper is actually a fiery Capsicum pubescens (at least ten times as hot as a jalapeño when raw, but boiled to reduce its thermonuclear properties), stuffed with spiced, sautéed ground beef and hard-boiled egg." I can't stand spicy stuff. My body just can't do it. If I have too much spicy mustard on my (ham) sandwhich I freak out and can't finish it. I just don't do well with spicy foods, and of course, everything seems spicy, even if a 'normal' person thinks it's not. So I don't think I'll be trying this dish.

And lastly, the most delicious sounding thing of all, Anticuchos.
Source
Doesn't look so bad, right? Oh just wait...

"These skewers of grilled, marinated meat (much like shish kebabs) are served everywhere in Peru. While almost any meat can be prepared this way, the most traditional—and best—anticuchos are made with beef heart."

This almost sounded good, until they said they would make it with beef heart. Ehhhh, I don't know about all that. Can't you just put some chicken (non-heart) on it and call it a day?

So basically, I will either be (a) eating lots of cliff bars, bread, and rice or (b) ordering food without asking what it is. Let's hope I don't starve!

But in all seriousness, I really am excited about this trip! I think it will be amazing to be in this culture and practice my Spanish and I'm sure the food won't be that bad. ;) I'll just be counting down the days until I can have the steak in Rio, yummm...

Happy Tuesday!
B.Hines


No comments:

Post a Comment