Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Greatest Night of My Life

Once upon a time, I finally met the man of my dreams. And now I'm here to tell you all the story...

Let's start with some history first, shall we? During my Freshman year of High School I became truly obsessed with NC State basketball. Not only was the team fairly decent, at least more so than they have been during my 4 years of college, but they also had a certain player that was (and still is) downright dreamy. Helloooo Engin Atsur. During those 4 years of High School I continued to watch and love NC State basketball. I attended games, sat as close as possible, and took a million pictures like a crazy person.


After sitting on the floor at one of the Red/White games, I saw that a lot of other fans were crowded around the players entrance to the locker rooms, waiting for them to come back out for autographs/pictures. This was it, my opportunity to meet the guy I'd been dreaming of! I walked over to where the rest of the crowd was, with my poster and sharpie in hand, and asked someone if he could please send out Engin Atsur. After what seemed like forever of waiting, the man finally brought him out. Except, it wasn't actually him. Instead it was his just-as-dreamy teammate, Ilian Evtimov. Apparently the man that worked there didn't know much about the NC State basketball players, and he brought out the wrong foreigner. I wasn't about to let that opportunity pass though, and I still got an autograph. However there was no Engin Astur for me that day...

I look ridiculous, I know....

Years went by and I still followed the team, but eventually Engin's time at NC State was up and my Senior year of High School was his last year at State. That was also the year that I found out that I was accepted to State and that I would be attending my dream college! But of course, as my luck would have it, he would no longer be there. I still went to all of the basketball games throughout my years at State and cheered on my team, silently wishing that Engin Atsur would just show up to one, or all, of the games. Weeeelp, God answers prayers ya'll. During my Sophomore year, Hillary and I were at the basketball game against Wake Forest, just sitting (or more like standing) on the floor enjoying the game, when who walks in?


Engin Atsur, in the flesh. And yes, I realize that this picture is stalker level, but whatever. So of course, throughout the rest of the game I was all jittery and I wouldn't stop talking about it to Hillary. Well it turned out that this Wake Forest game was actually one of the biggest games I had been to in my college career (unfortunately I missed the game where we beat UNC...). I don't remember all of the details about why it was so important that we beat them, but it was, and we did. Afterwards, everyone rushed the court and celebrated!


"omgosh...I'm on the floor right now?!"


And who else is on the floor right now? Engin Atsur! So after much debating and whining about being nervous, I finally made my way over to where he was standing and bashfully asked for a picture with him...

Too bad I looked bogus at this game...

So there ya have it, one of the happiest moments of my life. I was so pumped up off adrenaline and nerves that I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the night/week/month/year! Even now, it still makes me so happy :)

Have a wonderful Thursday,
B.Hines

1 comment: